Changing the server edition (Step-by-Step)
If you want to change the server edition from Standard to Datacenter you can follow the steps below.
Attention: There is no way back from Datacenter to Standard. Please take a snapshot before starting with this procedure!
- Open an elevated command prompt
- Determine the current edition of Windows Server installed by running DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition
- Determine which versions the server can be upgraded by running DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions
- To complete the conversion between editions we use the DISM command with the format DISM /online /Set-Edition:
In the above example the target edition is ServerDatacenter and the KMSProductKey is W3GGN-FT8W3-Y4M27-J84CP-Q3VJ9
- After that the Server will reboot twice
- A check of the server edition reveals that is has been successfully upgraded to Datacenter
- Complete this procedure by following the steps "Set KMS Host" and "Activate your OS" in chapter 2.15.2 Windows server OS license activation: Set KMS host slmgr.vbs /skms kms.swisscomcloud.com:1688 and activate your OS slmgr.vbs /ato